Monday 6 June 2016

who is the best all time writer. of the supernatural.





I wondered which writer of the supernatural people like most?

In my way of thinking a lot of horror writing doesn't count, as it only uses the supernatural as an excuse for having one person kill another in the most gruesome way possible. 
There's nothing basically wrong with a character dying as an outcome of a supernatural plot, but if it IS a supernatural plot. 
This is after all writing about other worlds and other entities. 

Mine are M R James  and Lovecraft, and E F Benson and Algernon Blackwood, 
A lot if modern writing is more about the ugliness of modern society, rather than dealing with a different supernatural world, i think.

I do like a number of more modern authors, who deal with the supernatural. I like the Sergey Lukyanenko Night Watch stories, 
I also like Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan stories. 
I kind of like the zany and outre  in the supernatural story. 
It's about escape from this awful tedious world with rational obsessions that really squash the mind down into boxes.

Who tops the poll for you?


No comments:

Post a Comment