Tuesday 7 June 2016

diferent senses



I always believed myself to be sensitive, in terms of vision, sight and smell. It puts me in mind of the film "A matter of life and death", where when time stops, and David Niven talks to the ghost, he reports a smell accompanying the experience, 
And the doctor makes something of that.
If i remember the scene correctly.

I was put in mind of this because a friend of mine is off to Whitby, 
And that is one of the places where I had this experience of an other sense being activated
This was perhaps clairaudience, and I never found an explanation forwhat I heard.
 And it was a long while ago.

In the ruins of the abbey, as i was sketching it, I heard the sound of Gregorian chant. 
There were buildings behind it, and I can't discount that I was hearing music and song on a radio, or even singing by real people. This was years ago, in the days before computerised methods of playing music?. The 1970s?

It perhaps goes with being an artist that your other senses are heightened as well as your eyes. it is the spirit of place,  connecting with you. Some places do that very strongly. 
The most dramatic of those is Pevensey in Sussex. But that's another entry, for the future.
I'll see if i can root out the sketch i made then. And tell you the story of my experiences on HMS Victory.


No comments:

Post a Comment