Wednesday 8 March 2017

ghostly whispers


Stories and fact...

I am going to leave Brighton, for the time being, as 
I have no information on Brighton hauntings in my own library, 
And i'll resume this study, when and where i find a decent book
which predates the ghost tour fad.
I just crave authentication myself, not to claim that the sources 
used by these people are not credible in themselves.
(I just don't know what these sources are)

I'll  consider the whole process of Chinese Whispers
with regard to ghost stories.
I was reading a folklore book and was interested to read
 about the interpretation of folklorists on the development
of such stories. One the author quoted
relates to the Cissbury ring tales of witches.
Her suggestion was that since the development 
of pagan world views, and wicca in particular, 
and Druid, and Wicca ceremonies being performed in these places,
a back development of association with witches
could have been prompted, when there was no evidence
to support it. I have to admit that the idea that modern day witches
or druids might actually represent a continuity with the actual
practices, which they compare themselves with, 
isn't guaranteed. 

Ghost stories anyway seem to reflect the obsessions of the age.
We don't believe in fairies now, but we seem to be inclined to
believe in little green (or grey) men....
Modern fairies?


No comments:

Post a Comment