Saturday 8 April 2017

the wild hunt

THe wild hunt

I Still haven't had any response to my request from google to  
sort this double capital problem out. 
Anyway, whilst I'm waiting, I'll have a look at the story of
the wild hunt, I think. I had a discussion with a friend about 
Herne the hunter, and she thought he was mythic,
but I was sure that there was a royal keeper of
Royal Parks, who was called Herne, and this related to the
 much older wild hunt stories.

Conan Doyle's Hound of the Baskervilles is a possible result
 of the tale of a pack of Dartmoor Wisht hounds, 
led by a dark huntsman, who run on the trail of
 the Dead or damned. 

Here is an account from a version of the
 Anglo Saxon Chronicles:

"Several persons saw and heard many huntsmen hunting. 
The hunters were swarthy and huge, and ugly; 
and their hounds were all black, and wide-eyed and ugly.
And they rode on black horses, and black he-goats.
This was seen in the very deer-park in the town of Peterborough, 
and in all the woods from that same town as far as Stamford.
 And the monks heard their horns blowing in the night. 
Credible men, who saw them in the night, said that
 there might well be about twenty or thirty horn-blowers."

No comments:

Post a Comment